Pages

Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Burning It

Today I watched a man my age

Walk by again with his dog, old dog

On a contraption with wheels and a platform

For the dog’s failed legs and spine.

It was pathetic and wonderful, but

The only poem in it was when the dog

Fell off the platform, apologetic

And helpless. The furious man.

Who grabbed the animal by the tail

And jerked it back on the wheeled

Sled. Who would have shot the fucking

Dog if he had a gun. Or maybe the poem

Begins when my son heard about this later and said

The man is angry because he can’t help the dog

Any longer. And went back to growing up.

Today my father thinks he woke up completely

Homeless and wandering the hospital

Searching for someone to take care of him.

His new papery voice reminds me of wasp

Nests under the eaves, which they used to burn

With matches and somehow, by some miracle,

The whole house didn’t burn down.

Every spring the same blank-verse miracle,

Burning what you can.

Praying for the rest.

2 comments:

L said...

Dr. Franke-
What a happy surprise to find that you have a blog! And this poem . . . after reading, I had to comment. Sometimes I feel like that old dog with the cart for legs, don't we all at some point? I love the images; they speak volumes about states of mind that are otherwise impossible to describe. I hope you submit this somewhere if you haven't yet. It's "lovely"!

Unknown said...

Thanks, Liz! This really all happened, and it sort of depressed me. So I tried to write it down without being too sentimental. Appreciate your comments.